Sunday, May 27, 2007

Half Brea plus Pima Poncho

I finally finished the first half of the cotton Brea Bag I'm making! I made a mistake somewhere but I'm sure it won't show too much. I had some trouble getting into the pattern for the first 6-8 rows, but after that it went on pretty fast. Now I have a doubt about finishing it. The pattern says, for last row:

* Sl 2 tog knitwise, k1, psso, rep from * 3 times more.

Doing so I end up with 6 sts. What am I supposed to do after that? Just bind off or follow the finishing instructions?
With RS facing, using crochet hook and 2 strands of yarn held tog, work in Reverse Sc along top edges of bag back and front

If someone knows please tell me!



Besides that, to relax a bit before I start the other side of the Brea Bag, I've started the Desirée poncho from Viva Poncho. I've ordered the Cascade Pima Tencel yarn on the Quality Fibers Shop on eBay and got it pretty fast.

The shade is the one suggested by the book, 1317 Pink, but I have to say that in the pics it looked more pinky but from real is a mix of pink and cyclamen, that I like less.

The amazing thing is this cotton-tencel yarn. Touching the skein in seems normal, but after is knitted it transforms in something extremely soft. It's amazing. It doesn't even seem like cotton. I've tried to understand what Tencel is but I'm not sure I have. It seems some kind of new natural fiber. Anyway the result is fantastic!!!

The pima poncho is worked in Brioche stitch a stitch that once understood goes on fast and easily and the result is very very nice. I should finish the poncho pretty fast and then concentrate on the scarves for Vik's project!

11 comments:

5penny said...

hey, hi there... i am also going to knit the brea bag and as i understand when there are 6 stitches left you: break the yarn leaving a 6 inch tail, thread this through the last 6 stitches, and secure...

hope that helps.

PippaW said...

Thank you SO much! Well it was easier than I thought ;-)
Happy knitting!

Anonymous said...

I interpret the directions to mean that you do not finish off, but do the reverse single crochet taking the stitches off the right hand side as you go. What you do with the tail, I'm not sure. Maybe it becomes one of the "two strands". Hmm, maybe there is a forum on the internet somewhere that can explain more thoroughly. Good luck! It's very pretty so far as is the poncho.

knitaly said...

I did what 5penny said about binding off the last 6 stitches, moreover I avoided to do the reverse single crochet finishing along the edge because the edge stitch was rather regular. I found out that bag needed a zipper because opening was too wide, and the shape of the bag wasn't so nice!

zrinka said...

Ciao!
Grazie per le indicazioni ... alla fine, poi, ho optato per un semplicissimo bordino a pippiolini ... e, ad essere sincera, sono proprio soddisfatta della scelta
Buona giornata
*Cinzia*
p.s. anche io da piccola ero innamorata di Aran Benjo :o)

PippaW said...

Thank you so much to all of you for the hints. I'm not sure how to do the reverse single crochet so I guess I'll just bind off the last 6 stitches. Thaks thanks for the suggestions!

Zrinka spero che pubblicherai le foto della copertina deve essere bellissima!!! :-D

LG said...

Hi Justine, oh that brea bag! And the color you chose, a dream! Could you get the leather handles? I ask you this, because that was my reason to not knit it (yet)...

The poncho will look very pretty to wear in the Italian Spring!

About KFH, Petra designed our first button! Plus... a great surprise, when you have enough time to read visit the blog! I wish we both will be like these hawaiian ladies -knitting & with projects- when we´ll be almost 90! ;)

Tandi said...

Hi - I saw your link on Sue's blog. Love your Brea bag! That color is great. I have the knitted part finished but haven't found handles or lined mine yet.

Aysel said...

The color makes the bag a definite eye-catcher.

Aysel said...

I knited one too. Here's the link to my Brea Bag: http://knit-easy.blogspot.com/2007/06/my-brea-bag-from-berroco.html

PippaW said...

Hi Tandi and hi Busy mom, I'm glad you liked the color I picked, I took the idea from Knitaly. I like it in red.

Vik I haven't found the handles yet. But I find Knitaly and Busy Mom solutions - knitting the handles or using some fabric - pretty interesting. I'll let you know if I find some nice handles. I still ave to knit the other half of the bag!!!! :-))